Use this helpful checklist as a reminder of the things you need to do before you move. Remember, you do not have to take everything with you! This a perfect opportunity to purge those items that you don't really need or want. A great idea is to have a garage sale to sell these obsolete/unwanted items. This will also help reduce moving costs.
- Arrange for and Book the movers.
- Arrange for any trucks and friends that may be helping.
- You can choose to have the movers pack everything, or just the breakables, or you can pack yourself. It's a good idea to obtain estimates from several different companies.
IF YOU OWN YOUR PRESENT HOME
- Arrange to have your gas, water, and electric meters read on the day you leave and have the bills forwarded to your new address.
- Have your oil tank read and filled before your sale closes, and provide a receipt to your legal professional if required. The Buyer will reimburse you this expense by crediting you this amount on closing day in the statement of adjustment If the water heater or furnace is rented, arrange for a transfer of the rental agreement to the purchaser.
- Disconnect your telephone, cable TV, and water softener.
IF YOU RENT YOUR PRESENT HOME
- Give necessary written notice to your landlord and make arrangements for the return of any prepaid monies or rent you have on deposit.
AT YOUR NEW HOME
- Make arrangements for the gas and electric utilities, water softener, telephone and cable TV to be connected on the day the sale closes.
- Get "Change of Address" cards from the post office and send out well before moving day.
- Have the post office forward your mail to your new address.
- Cancel any contracted services and pre-authorized cheques and automatic bank debits.
- Inform gardening, dry cleaning, garbage pick-up, newspapers, magazines, diaper and other home services. Arrange for service at your new address.
- Obtain a letter of introduction from your current branch to help establish new accounts. Transfer trust or bank accounts and securities.
- Cancel or transfer social, athletic, civic, religious or business affiliations and memberships.
- Arrange for transfer of medical, dental, prescription, optical records and insurances.
- Change the address on your driver's license(s) effective the day of the move.
- Collect all items out for cleaning, repair or storage. e.g. fur coats, dry cleaning.
- Make special arrangements for the moving of perishables, such as plants.
- Make special arrangements for the moving of your pets.
- Dispose safely of all flammable liquids as it is illegal for movers to carry them.
- prepare a box of necessary items that you will need right away at your new residence and pack this box in your car. (ie: cleaning supplies, toiletries, garbage bags, toilette paper, paper towels etc.)
- prepare a separate box with a change of clothes or sleep wear and linens for your first night in you new home
- check your new home for existing damage before movers enter
- if a rural property take a water sample within two days
Other Sellers Articles